Monday 26 October 2020

July 30th 2020 - Putting Things in Perspective

 I tried to go about my normal routine but the thoughts of the upcoming battle are never far from my thoughts. Even on the golf course I find myself now and then contemplating what lies ahead.

In the evening, I had a long conversation with a doctor friend who had gone through a similar experience a few years back. It was positive in that he was still healthy after a starting position which sounded far worse than mine – a much higher PSA (19) and a very high Gleason score. He had undergone radio therapy chemotherapy and hormone therapy and despite the unpleasantness of some of the side effects had managed to live a reasonably normal life. He did say that when it comes on deciding which of the treatment options to take that you can feel overwhelmed – and he was a doctor. He very kindly offered to accompany me when I saw the oncologist – this is an offer I might well take up.

This conversation certainly helped to put things in perspective. My overwhelming urge is a need to get on with it. Of course, I have the slow, grinding machinations of the NHS to contend with. I wonder whether my private medical insurance can help?



No comments:

Post a Comment

PSA Still Undetectable and Diet Having Positive Effect

Just had my latest check-up and I am delighted to say PSA is still undetectable. I have indeed decided to do something about the weight gain...